August 04, 2009

On your Birthday, I write this-


Your mother always felt a little guilty at liking and taking what pleased her. From that came her love for live, the arts, and having you against all odds.
I see her arms around you grow fainter, more distant, and somehow I am able to look the past squarely in the eye. As that past evaporates and the future shrinks, I for one seek and value all experiences and links.
I read your dissertation with awe and admiration. Unlike relationships, politics, or law, the arts make us more what we already are; they show us what we did not know we knew. You also embrace a universe that is Europe, and you tell me that you feel divided and torn.
People always have expected me to define myself as either European or American. I tell them, that I have been married twice, but never divorced. My first spouse was Europe. My second America, and after four passionate decades, my-love-that-was-more-than-mere-friendship evolved into a friendship-that-is-more-than-mere-love, and has remained so. Shall we talk about that when we next meet?
If it weren’t for you, I wouldn’t be me. Granted every instant of our lives is full of events that alter us forever. Nevertheless, some events can be more altering than others. You coming so unexpectedly into our lives was one of them. Please continue to make me more of what I already am.
Happy Birthday, Clive.
From Scotland to Samos, today, Europe is your present, just open it!


Posted by Picasa

22 comments:

Mona said...

Happy Birthday, Love

Lucette and Xavier said...

Joyeux anniversaire, neveu

Sylvia said...

Alles Gute zum Geburtstag
von allen Deinen anderen Müttern.

Peter (Rome) said...

Buon compleanno

Charles said...

Some people are a gift
to every life they touch.
They are loved and treasured
by all who know them.
You are one of those people.
You are a gift
in our life.
Happy Birthday

Peter (Samos) said...

Every year, on your birthday,
I think about how glad I am
that you were born,
how thankful I am
to have you in my life.
Every year is another year
filled with the special joys you bring just by being yourself.
Every year, when you open your birthday gifts,
realize what a gift you are
to everyone who knows you,
especially us.
Happy Birthday!

Anja said...

On your birthday,
I wish for you the fulfillment
of all your fondest dreams.
I hope that for every candle
on your cake
you get a wonderful surprise.
I wish for you that
whatever you want most in life,
it comes to you,
just the way you imagined it,
or better.
I hope you get as much pleasure
from our friendship as I do.
I wish we were siblings,
so I could have known you
from the beginning.
I look forward to
enjoying our friendship
for many more of your birthdays.
I'm so glad you were born,
because you brighten our life
and fill it with joy.


Happy Birthday!

C and C said...

Growing old is inevitable.
Growing up is optional.

Happy Birthday

a blogger said...

great portrait

the gang (in Scotland) said...

we are toasting to your health Ms Edna-
Clive, Anja, Mona, Sylvia, Angela & Charles.

Ms Edna said...

thank you, I needed that-
à la vôtre

Peter (Samos) said...

Ya’Sou!

Steven Blackman and family (Malibu) said...

Hello Clive,
Dad told me about this blog and your birthday post. I wanted to make sure I did not forget to wish you a Very Happy Birthday from Big Rock.

Pamela and friends said...

A big hello, and special Birthday Greetings. We are so glad you are well. Remembering foundly, our 2004 summer. Oh, what fun we had. We all miss you very much. Best to 'Ms Edna' who came up with this? It fits!
All the 'certified virgins'from PCH send their love.

Russ (Texas) said...

well, well, well-
we have been living it up. No need to encourage you to enjoy your birthday. But, I wish you well.

Tomy Lee (Texas aussi)see I can do cosmolopitan said...

Hello slugger, glad to see you doing so well. Looking better every time I get to see a picture of you. What are you taking, or is it all genes?

Tomy Lee said...

I just can't spell worth a rats a**

Karen and gang said...

Well, considering your entire genetic baggage, and your Fairy Godmother it is NO surprise that you are turning into a
drop-dead gorgeous man.
Happy Birthday ‘Prince Charming’.

the snitch said...

Hide Clive, Ms Capshaw is gunning for you.
Happy Birthday-

Rocher (a Paris) said...

Clive de Filou -
well 'abi birthhday'

a blogger said...

Always a surprising read. Thanks.

Anonymous said...

Bravo, magnificent phrase and is duly